Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The King is alive: thousands pay homage to Elvis

Like every year thousands of fans from all over the world gathered at the Elvis Presley's Graceland estate in Memphis to pay homage to Elvis his life and legacy on the 28th anniversary of his death.

The truly impressive Candlelight Vigil turned Elvis Presley Boulevard in a sea of candlelight as thousands and thousands of fans participated in the Candlelight Vigil. I never knew so many people could be so quiet. And even more impressive is that a singer that has been gone for so long still draws a crowd like this, not for a concert, but for remembering his life and legacy.

I sure can tell you that everytime I see something impressive like this, I still get choked up, even after all these years of being a fan. Having visited Graceland many times, I still get that strange, special feeling everytime I walk through the gates of Graceland. It's like time has stood still and you can still feel the presence of Elvis...

My dear friend Don from Memphis used to work at Graceland. He just sent me an e-mail where he tries to capture that feeling. I'll just share that with you:

... I was watching the Candlelight Vigil at Graceland tonight. The weather is very hot and muggy but also there's a clear sky with a beautiful moon. I was thinking of when I worked at Graceland and how quiet and lonely the mansion would be after the last guest left and we turned out the lights. Do you believe in ghosts?

We did have some good times through the years and I hope there are many more to follow. The spirit of Elvis is alive tonight in Memphis. You can feel it. When I sign off, I am going to drive to Whitehaven, past the mansion and who knows -- maybe I'll catch a glimpse of the King on the lawn.....

It's amazing that Elvis still can move so many people around the world. Even people who worked for a long time with Elvis and are coming back to Graceland to remember the anniversary of his death are having trouble keeping their eyes dry.

I guess that says a lot on the impression Elvis made to a lot of people.

And it still goes on: Elvis Lives!

Thankyouverymuch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home